The purpose of a STAR Course is to help individual senior students discover, focus on and investigate, a particular area of study or career they might want to follow when they leave school.
Takapuna Grammar School purchases a certain number of tertiary-type STAR courses from external providers. The courses support students to explore career pathways and help them make informed decisions about their future work or study.
- Star Courses may have Unit Standards attached which will appear on the Record of Learning Certificate.
- Students attend the tertiary institute and typically courses are 2-4 days in length.
- Selection will depend on the applicant and how well they are suited to do the STAR course.
- Once accepted, commitment to attend is important.
Courses commonly run under STAR funding include:
Photo School – Creative Potential
Computer Aided Design
Courses are restricted in numbers and students must consider the following:
- If they are doing NCEA Levels 1, 2 or 3, would the course clash with any
assessments / assignments due?
- How will this particular STAR Course help them with their future career plans?
- Will they be able to find transport to the venue where the STAR Course is being